The signs you see to the right are new billboards that Diagnostic Imaging Services will have live during the month of October at different locations in the greater New Orleans area.
This is something new for us. Many times, people will see billboards for hospitals and other medical practices. This is truly a test for us to see if our message resonates with our community.
We believe that the message of the advantages provided by 3D mammography is a very important one. With breast cancer being the second leading cause of cancer deaths among women (only exceeded by lung cancer), cancer detection at its earliest is critical to long-term survival.
Advantages of 3D mammography include:
- More accurate detection: By minimizing the impact of overlapping breast tissue, 3D mammography can make a tumor easier to see. Reviewing multiple images has helped doctors find more cancers than with 2D images alone.
- Earlier diagnosis: Overlapping tissue can hide small cancers in a 2D scan. However, with 3D mammography, the image “slices” can be analyzed one by one. This means 3D mammography may help detect cancers earlier than conventional mammography.
- Better detection in dense breast tissue: Dense breast tissue, often found in younger women, can cause shadows due to overlapping tissue, which hides tumors from traditional 2D mammography. 3D mammography takes images of the breast from multiple angles, thereby offering a cutting-edge look through and around breast tissue.
- Less Anxiety: 3D mammography can help reduce false alarms. The improved accuracy in diagnosing abnormal structures offered by a 3D view of the breast decreases the number of unnecessary callbacks to women for additional scans and biopsies.
- Safe and Effective: During a 3D mammogram, women will experience a minimal amount of additional radiation, compared with a standard mammogram. However, this dose is below the FDA-regulated limit for mammography, and no additional risk from an amount of radiation this small has been shown. The FDA studied the radiation issue before approving screening and diagnostic 3D mammography, concluding that the benefits outweigh any potential risk.
Click here to learn more about Genius 3D mammography performed at Diagnostic Imaging Services. Four outpatient locations provide the only non-hospital 3D mammography imaging superiority in the Orleans-Jefferson-St. Tammany tri-parish area.