An abdominal ultrasound produces a picture of the organs and other structures in the upper abdomen. A Doppler ultrasound study may be part of an abdominal ultrasound examination.
Abdominal ultrasound imaging is performed to evaluate the:
- abdominal aorta and other blood vessels of the abdomen
Ultrasound is used to help diagnose a variety of conditions, such as:
- abdominal pain or distention.
- abnormal liver function.
- enlarged abdominal organ.
- stones in the gallbladder or kidney.
- an aneurysm in the aorta.