Diagnostic Imaging Services offers the superior technology of 3D mammography within a relaxed non-hospital environment. 3D mammography is a revolutionary state of the art technology approved by the FDA in February 2011, which gives radiologists the ability to view inside the breast layer by layer, helping to see the fine details more clearly by minimizing overlapping tissue. During a 3D mammogram, multiple low-dose images known as “slices” of the breast are acquired at different angles. With 3D technology, the radiologist can view a mammogram in a way never before possible.
The 3D exam is a separate procedure that is performed at the same time as your regular mammogram. The exam will take about 4 seconds longer per view while in compression.
“Kudos to the Slidell office! I received my mammogram at 8:20 a.m. this morning. My primary care physician just called me at 5:30 p.m. with results! That is astounding. Thank you so much for taking care of me!”Laurie, Slidell LA
Some or all of the plans offered by health insurance providers listed below cover the 3D portion of the mammogram at 100%:
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Louisiana (HMO/PPO)
- Humana Gold
- Louisiana Health Care/Medicaid
- Peoples Health Network Gilsbar (employee only)
- Peoples Health Network Medicare
Please verify your potential 100% coverage benefit with us before scheduling your 3D mammogram. Please call 504-459-3220 with your health insurance coverage information. One our patient relations and communications associates will be able to determine if your plan type covers a 3D mammogram at 100% with no cost to you.
Other insurance plans do not yet cover the 3D portion of a mammogram. The 2D portion of the exam is billed to your insurance as usual, with the charge for 3D mammography of $60.
However, the 3D mammogram portion may be an eligible expense through a health savings account or flexible spending account. Diagnostic Imaging Services recommends consulting with your benefits provider to verify eligibility.
Twenty two (22) of the top cancer centers in the United States already utilize this technology, which is also known as breast tomosynthesis. View the two-minute video (above) to learn one woman’s story of how 3D mammography played the critical role in the early detection of her breast cancer.
3D mammography has been reported to provide results in superior clinical performance through the following three important areas:
- EARLIER DETECTION by minimizing the impact of overlapping breast tissue, 3D mammography can help improve breast cancer screening and detection. With 3D mammography, studies indicate radiologists are currently experiencing a 30 percent increase in breast cancer detection.
- FEWER CALLBACKS as 3D mammography helps distinguish harmless abnormalities from real cancers, leading to fewer callbacks and less anxiety for women. With 3D mammography, radiologists may be able to reduce patient callback rates by as much as 20-30 percent.
- BETTER VISUALIZATION as radiologists can better see the size, shape and location of an abnormality.
3D mammography is currently performed at the DIS East Bank center in Metairie, our West Bank center in Marrero, our Northshore East location in Slidell and our Northshore West Highway 21 location in Covington.
When not covered by insurance, 3D is an optional service at this time and elected by the patient. Many physicians know about our new 3D technology and the feedback we have received has been very positive. If you need additional information to help you make this decision, please let the front desk know you’d like to speak to a technologist.